The following checklist is intended to help you find the right immigration attorney for you:
When searching for an immigration attorney, it is important to ask them the following questions:
- Is the lawyer a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)?
- How long have they been a member of AILA?
- Does the lawyer subscribe to AILALink (a database for decisions, commentary, memos, etc.)?
- What form of communication does the lawyer use in order to achieve the fastest results? Is the FTP server capable of uploading secure PDF files?
- Does the lawyer have an address in Germany as well as in the U.S. in order to transmit documents effectively?
- Does the lawyer maintain telephone and fax numbers in both Germany and the U.S.?
- Is the lawyer fluent in your native language, as well as familiar with the educational training in both your native country, as well as in the U.S.?
- Are the attorney’s fees based on an hourly rate, or is it possible to establish a flat fee?