How do you obtain your German passport?

If you are outside of Germany, you need to apply for your German passport at your respected General Consulate.

What you need to know:

  • The normal passport (the Europapass with red binding) is good for 10 years for those who are 26 and older. For those who are under the age of 26, the passport is good for 5 years.
  • It is not possible to extend the expiration date of your passport. You are required to apply for a new one.
  • Passports are printed in Berlin at the Bundesdruckerei. Allow 6-8 weeks for processing.


Please be aware of the following regulations with regard to traveling to the U.S. without a visa:

With regard to the Visa Waiver Program, it is necessary for those who are coming for a participating country to have a digital picture, otherwise you must obtain a visa.

The digital picture must be printed off and cannot be glued or laminated into the passport.

In the event that your passport does not fit this description, it is still possible to travel without a visa if:

•Your passport was received before October 26, 2005 and has a machine readable bar code.
•Between October 26, 2005 and October 25, 2006, and your passport contains a digital picture.
•If you possess an “e-Passport” with an integrated computer chip, which allows one to see your personal information, a digital picture and there is an option to save your personal information.
In the event that you received your passport after October 25, 2006, and you do not have the required digital photo or computer chip, then you must apply for a visa. Please contact us if you need further information on how to apply for a visa.


In general the following is important for any petitioner to know when petitioning:

Be aware of your lineage, through birth or marriage certificates. As a law firm with German lawyers and as American Public Notaries, we can take over this process for you. Please contact us if you want further information at

Please be careful when filling out the paper work if you have multiple last names, such as Meier-Schmidt or Meier Schmidt. It is important to obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate, marriage certificate, and also a certified copy of your change of name from your maiden name.

Passport or personal identification, in the event that you have yet to apply for your passport.

A filled out application for your passport

2 identical, recent passport pictures with a light background: These pictures can be white and black or colored.You should attach one picture to your application. You need to write your name on the back of the second picture, in the event that it is misplaced.

The application should be signed with a black felt pen. This signature will be reproduced on your official passport. Otherwise, you can obtain one from a Consulate.

Confirmation of your last German residence.

Confirmation of citizenship, as regulated by the Green Card, the I-797 Approval Notice or the I-94 document.

The previous information is only a general overview.  

Please contact us to confirm that this is correct, or to address other issues that you may have.